SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wrekkless

5-1-1 needing daily watering - too much?

Wrekkless
10 years ago

Happy Friday!

I have my first group of vegetable seedlings planted in a 5-1-1 mix (similar to PJ's modified 5-1-1) as follows:
4.5 parts - pine/fir bark fines 1/8"-3/8"
.5 parts - pine/fir bark fines 1/16"-1/8"
.5 parts - Perlite 1/8"-3/8*'
.5 parts - Perlite 1/16"-1/8"
.5 parts - Napa Floor Dry 1/8"-3/8"
.5 parts - Napa Floor Dry 1/16"-1/8"

I have tomatoes, peas, and greens (lettuce, mesclun, and arugula) planted with the first batch of mix that I made. I water thoroughly and everything drains very nicely. I picked and ate my first ripe tomato yesterday and it was amazing!

As our weather has finally started to warm up and be consistenly in the 80s, I'm finding that I have to water daily. I use a long skewer in the container to check for moisture, leave it there for a bit, and it comes out dry every morning. I'm pretty certain that as the summer progresses and we hit the 90-100 range with our dry summers (Utah) I'll need to water 2-3x a day to keep things alive. Watering daily isn't a problem for me, but more than that I think I'll end up missing sometimes (ok a lot of times).

I use Foilage Pro 1/4-tsp/gallon every watering and add ProTekt for the tomatoes.

Is this much watering good/bad, normal, too much fertilizing? Should I cut back on the FP at every watering since it is daily, and only use it a couple of times a week?

I am getting ready to make up more potting mix for the rest of my seedlings so are there tweaks I could/should make to my mix so that it is at least lasting a day between waterings?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Laura

Comments (14)