SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cisquito

First Time Homebuyer, Novice Gardner

cisquito
16 years ago

Okay, so I recently bought a newer home that came w/ the original landscaping that you so often see in new construction. On top of that, the previous owners planted ill placed trees in front of the house. See below.

{{gwi:24538}}

But, that's not really my main concern. The area that I live is very windy. I HATE that there is a tree planted right next to the house b/c on windy days it slaps up against the house and roof. I realize I can prune which I'll do for a quick fix. Eventually I'm going to take it out. Seriously, it's root is only 3-4 inches from the house. See below.

{{gwi:24539}}

So I have several questions...

1. How do I dig up the tree and all it's roots? Remember, I'm a novice.

2. I already have brick (see pic below) outlining a gardening area and I'd like to fill it w/ no fuss plants (i.e. no hedges that need trimming or constant maintenance). I like a mix of bushes, flowering bushes, plants and modest flowers.

3. Should I keep the slate rock that is already there? My husband is opposed to wood chips or pine needles.

So, all that in mind I guess I should also mention that the front of the house faces due east so there's ample light early in the day before all retreating to the back of the house thus casting a huge shadow (all pics were taken at 4 in the afternoon). I'm in zone 4, more specifically in Northern Illinois.

{{gwi:24540}}

Thanks in advance. I really want to make my new home look good.

Comments (10)