SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Parsnips in the South...an update

Donna
12 years ago

Rhizo, are you out there? This post is for you in particular! There was a thread over a year ago about this topic. I did try planting parsnips in my garden this fall, so will give my results of this experiment. I planted them September 15 in the same bed with my carrots, which I have since read you are not supposed to do. Don't know why. They took a good while to germinate, but they did. I only planted about 3 feet of row, so we're not talking about alot of plants. I grew them under row covers the entire winter and pulled them with the last of the carrots last week, because I needed to clear the bed and topdress it with compost for the spring. This gave them about five and a half months of growing time. They were on the small side, though a couple were as large as a nice carrot. This could be due to being planted with carrots (?), not long enough in the ground (?), or soil conditions. Don't know.

I put them in the crock pot with a stewed chicken the night I picked them, and they were absolutely, positively delicious. They tasted nothing at all like the ones I have bought from the store. They have a very delicate, sweet flavor. I liked them enough to try again this year with more seed, separated from the carrots, and anything else you all might suggest.

P.S. I had the most fabulous carrots this year I ever grew too! Long and lovely, sweet, and wonderful. All the work and trouble of amending the clay soil in my beds is really paying off! We ate carrots the entire winter from this planting.

Comments (10)