SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bekah_gw

Help-Designing a Children's Garden and need some enchanting ideas

bekah
13 years ago

I feel like I'm in our backyard all day with my 2 year old twins and right now it's got a couple of plants that they are helping me water but we could be doing so much more back there. DH and I are finally ready financially to transform our backyard. I would like to attract natural wildlife: butterfly's, hummingbirds, ladybugs and the like and was thinking of growing veggies and fruits (kitchen garden) with the kids and also old roses and cottage flowers. I'd like the design/layout focal points to be useful and geared towards children-so a children's garden. Something inspiring for the young mind. Somewhere they can really get their hands dirty and learn through play.

We are Zone 24 in Carlsbad, CA. The Front yard sees the morning sun. We are located at the bottom of a canyon and get consistent gentle to moderate breezes that flow from the front to the back of our house. Almost everyday I open the two front windows (10ft wide total) and directly across on the opposite end of the house is the 2 french doors (8ft wide) to the backyard. The cool fresh air is amazing!

The Backyard sees full afternoon sun and is the space between the house and garage. I'm wondering if I should connect the house and garage with a pergola (and have some climbing roses) for shade or to just shade the siting and dining areas only. It is enclosed by 2 lighter beige walls (house and garage) and 2 6' high white painted fences on the right and left. It needs color badly back there so that's what I'm hoping the hardscape (antique brick? flagstone?) will add. It also has that closed in feeling about it right now and so I'm looking to turn it into a lush/overgrown intimate space instead.

Front yard space in front of the 2 windows and front door area is about 20x8

Backyard space area about 18x22

Do you have some local gardens or children's places that you and the little ones enjoy spending time in? Strange water fountains or curious water flowing ponds-climbing trees or mazes-rainbow light displays, or natural musical sounds and soothing smells?

TIA

Rebekah

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County