SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_stl

Example of needing to be 'grounded'?

Lauren_StL
17 years ago

I'm a long time lurker who occasionally will offer up something. I've been learning from people in this forum for a while and thought I was starting to get the gist of it...My project this winter was planning a new bed in the backyard. There were some erosion issues so my birthday present was a french drain and a new bed with a small retaining wall (please refrain from commenting on the landscaping blocks--I'm well aware of the opinions regarding those).

{{gwi:23842}}

{{gwi:23843}}

My mother's day present is suppose to be two adirondack chairs to go in a small sitting area in the middle of this bed (currently indicated by where the large pot is). So I planned, dreamed, thought I had everything worked out. The bed was completed recently and I've realized that I've missed a very important point: the bed floats!! Amazing. As you can see the retaining wall isn't very tall, so I really didn't think much of the heighth increase when planning. However, I now can see that if I place those chairs there that it will just look plain odd. It's not that I don't like the view behind it --not great but not awful-it's just that it looks awkward.

So I guess I offer this up for two purposes. One is to provide an example and any insight of the "ungroundedness" of this endeavor. And secondly, to hear any suggestions that people have on how to fix this problem. I have a few ideas, but am certainly still trying to work it out. There is 6"of soil cover over the french drain along the backside of the wall, so that may or may not affect any suggestions as to solutions. I'm interested in hearing any thoughts.

Comments (31)