SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
domesticrockstar

Container Tomatos-everyone says they don't work and other ????

domesticrockstar
14 years ago

Hey everyone- I am new to the forum and new to container gardening.

Ok- so here is my dilemma...everyone in my family and friends circle tells me that tomato's in a container don't work because tomatos have an extensive root system and the containers constrict that.

So last year....I decided I would try it despite the naysayers...well I got bad results. My tomato's stayed very small (like maybe 10 inches at the highest). I did get a few tomato's off of the plants but they were really tiny.

So I am determined to try this again and MAKE it work!!

I am wondering if maybe the reason that my tomato's didnt do well last year is because they got too hot? We live in SD and it does get pretty hot here. There are usually several days during the summer where we are over 100 degree's. Today was in the 90's. So anyways- I had these containers in full sun in containers and I am thinking maybe they got too hot?

Also- I wonder if I wasn't watering them enough? Do you need to water container plants more often...common sense tells me YES. How many times per day should I water?

Here's another question...I am planting say brocoli (sp) in a pot, how many plants can I put in a 5 gallon container?

What about cantalope? Watermelon? Can I do these in a container?

My last question- my sister-in-law was saying she saw on TV that someone grew plants in a bag of potting soil!? They split the bag open lengthwise, planted (can't remember what it was) in it and it worked beautifully!?? Anyone ever tried that or heard of anyone else trying it?

Thanks for answering my questions everyone! I am very interested in gardening and like I said I am newbie. Right now I have tomato's and cukes in a tilled garden in one spot in the yard. Then I have watermelons in another spot, pumpkins in yet another spot, and radishes as well. In containers so far I have tomato's, green peppers, califlower and broccoli.

Tomorrow I want to plant my dill and green onions in containers.

I know I have a lot of research and hardwork ahead of me but I would love any suggestions or advice! Thanks in advance!! :)

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County