SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tess237

Planning a vegetable garden

tess237
14 years ago

Last year I put in a vegetable bed for the first time. We live in a subdivision, so the HOA had to approve the size and location of the bed, which is fine, and they did approve it. (I only mention it in case you should be tempted to suggest that I move the bed elsewhere, as I can't.)

Anyway, the bed runs along the south side of our foundation. It is a new house so there are no concerns about lead, etc. It is about 2-1/2 feet deep and maybe 25 feet long? Last year I had moderate success but found that I didn't put things in very wisely and there seemed to be a lot of wasted space. My question is, in a bed that is only 2-1/2 feet deep, how many various plants should I expect to fit into that space? Is that deep enough to put two tomato plants (one behind the other), or should I plant a single tomato plant in that depth and then go over a foot or two and plant the next one? Last year I planted them one deep, but if possible I'd like to grow them two deep to get more plants in there.

What about green peppers, bush beans, and bush zucchini? Could I grow those plants two deep in a 2-1/2 foot bed, or just one deep?

(I hope I explained this clearly... and thanks for your help!)

Comments (3)