SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
courtneych

Plant Rotation in a Year Round Garden

courtneych
11 years ago

Here in north central Florida I am fortunate in that I can grow veggies year round, albeit with a change of crops by season:
tomatoes, peppers, corn, beans, squash, etc., in the fall and spring; cool season crops like lettuce, spinach, broccoli, carrots, etc., in the winter; and heat lovers like southern peas, lima beans, sweet potatoes, peanuts & okra during the summer. I garden in 4 foot wide raised beds varying from 8 to 24 feet long, use lots of compost, and irrigate as needed in the drier fall and spring months. My problem is that I find it difficult to set up much of a crop rotation given limited planting space that is intensively used -- it is not unusual for me to rotate through 4 different crop families in the same bed over the course of a single year. At best I can keep a bed free of a particular crop family for no more than 2 years and usually only 18 months, thus I am concerned about the possible buildup of pests and diseases in the soil given my inability to do a several years long crop rotation. I'm curious as to how much of a problem this is for others in similar climates and how you deal with a limited ability to rotate crops.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio