SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianlanning

Starting from seed for the first time

brianlanning
14 years ago

Hi Everyone. I have big plans for a veggie garden this year. I'm on the north end of zone 5 in a chicago suburb. I've done a lot of research and I think I'm ready. I have a few questions though.

I'm not sure how much seed to plant, how big the outside planters should be, and how much the harvest will actually be. So I've made a few fuzzy guesses. Please let me know if I'm way off.

We have 9 kids so I'd like to grow a lot. A couple of the older ones tend to be reliable help, so I expect to do things maybe a little bigger than others might.

I'm thinking one 3'x8' fold-up table in the basement, completely covered with undecided planting containers (I should have been saving those yogurt containers, but didn't do it). Over that, suspend 4 2-tube 4' long shop lights with regular old shop light tubes suspended low over the planters. (do I need more red wavelength?) I have no idea how big these plants will grow up to be outside. So there's the first unknown.

Outside, around hardening time (april 15th), I plan to make a large outdoor planter. I'll be placing this right on top of the lawn. 12" deep with the right stuff, like that 3-part mix I keep hearing about, delivered by truck and dropped in the driveway. The planter walls will be 2x12 something, not pressure treated, not regular lumber... not sure what to make it out of so that it's no poisonous and won't rot. Figure about 3' wide so I can reach for easy weeding, and about 16 feet long or so. Maybe against a 6' fence as long as light is ok.

Is the amount of seed I'm starting too much or not enough for a 3'x16' planter?

Last time we did this, we put the plants in the ground and had so-so results. Our soil is too alkaline and it's tract house dirt so the raised planter should fix that.

We also had a critter problem (mole or vole). I think the cat got it, but I'd hate to find out the hard way. Should I put chicken wire or something in the bottom of the planter to stop critters?

Also any obviously good or obviously bad places to get seed? There's burpee seeds at menards, but we've had a lot of bad experiences with plants from big box stores so I'd almost prefer buying online from a smaller operation. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

brian

Comments (11)

• melaroma
    14 years ago

I'm keeping an eye out for a reply as I am starting a new veggie raised garden as well. I do know that even if you bring outside soil due to the rain your new soil will turn alkaline overtime so you might want to add some kind of acidic supplement. We used a non treated wood but decided not to paint it even though they say that you can paint the outside to preserve it without harming the plants. I do not know what type of wood we used but they say that cedar and redwood are the best because they contain natural oils that make them last longer in the rain. Unfortunately they are expensive. Also look up square foot gardening. Wish you success!

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

brian ,
    your plan looks good.
    In a 3' by 16' bed you can have limited amount of vegetables. The number will depen on the type of veggies.
    For example, a tomato plant needs roughly 1.5 -2 sqr-ft.
    any bush type squash, bean, cuke, ect will need about 2 sqr-ft. So depending on what you want to plan number of seeds can be different. Also, things like cukes, squash, cukes, beans,peas are normally direct sowed. So basically, I have only started from seeds ,inside, things like, tomatoes, eggplants,
    basils,peppers. You will probably have more seedlings than you will need.
    If the length of bed runs east-west, you can arrange a
    trellis on the north side for climbers, to free ground space.
    as far as the frame of the bed, you can use cypres, pine, cedar or bricks, landscape blocks, stone, ets.
    Any lumber will deteriorate, especially if not treated, but stuf like concrete block (cinder or other) will last indefinitely. If you are not too fancy, I woulk recommend cinder blocks which are not very expensive and is easy to work with. If you amend the narive soil(after removing the grass) one cinder block high should be sufficient,otherwise
    you may need higher walls.

• Related Discussions

first time starting from seeds

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm no expert, but I think you might have to plan on replanting the pumpkins and squash in a few weeks, no more than 6 weeks back from your frost-free date, about the middle of March. (I did the same thing the first time I ever started seeds, so don't feel alone.) The herbs might be OK - you can try to pot them up and just do containers under lights with them to hold you over until outdoor growing season. I'm getting ready to do a couple of basil and parsley seeds just for that purpose.
    ...See More

rosemary in the fridge

Q

Comments (1)
    You are doing this for cold stratification or just to keep it cool? Stratification isn't required for rosemary seed but it does prefer darkness, 60 degree temps, and to be lightly covered. Even then the germination rate is very low. I think you will find all the info in this previous discussion very, very helpful. Good luck with it. Dave Here is a link that might be useful: Germinating Rosemary
    ...See More

Transplanting from plastic cells to soil blocks?

Q

Comments (3)
    You will know the answer as soon as you knock the seedlings out of the tray. (Or dig them out). It's a bad thing to recommend, but I always knock my seedlings out of the community pot (in my case) and see what's what. THEN I decide what pots to move them to. -- The risky part is taking too long to decide with the baby seedlings exposed, but I have never had any trouble with it at all. Sometimes I am totally surprised by the huge root development, and sometimes I put them right back where they were to contintue growing bigger rots before transplanting. The roots will tell you the size and shape of the pot. Tomatoes can (should) also be planted deeper, so a nice deep pot or cell pack would probably be ideal. None of this directly answers your question about soil blocks, but I think the answer lies in asking you a question: Are the soil blocks big enough and deep enough to allow unfettered growth for the next couple of weeks? LIme
    ...See More

Basil--group together seedlings when transplanting?

Q

Comments (3)
    Basil seedlings are not people, puppies, or kitties. This is a totally renewable resource. . If you try to separate them and their roots are entangled....you are likely to damage them all. If they can be separated easily, you simply make a decision about how many to keep and how many to dispose of or give away. Composting is not a waste, it's a contribution. Next time, you'll plan better and won't sow so many. I would only use one sturdy seedling per cell.
    ...See More
  • anney
    14 years ago

BrianLanning

People will give you advice about various things, so I'll do some little ones.

Before you put your lights in place, you might consider suspending them high enough from the table-surface to accommodate relatively tall plants, maybe 18 inches. Then, instead of worrying about raising and lowering the light, get some stable materials (wooden blocks or old books etc.) that you can use initially to elevate your seedlings up toward the lights where they need to be. This also accommodates seedlings that grow at different rates and are different heights. As they grow, you can remove the supports in layers to lower the plants and still have the tops of the seedlings close to the light.

Don't worry about not saving those yoghurt cups! :-) Many of us use large and small plastic or styrofoam drink-cups (buy them in sleeves for $1 at dollar stores) to transfer seedlings into until they're ready to be set into the garden. Make sure you also have a way to mark your seedlings -- with 2-3 people working around a lot of seedlings, you need to know they won't get mixed up. We've had many cries of distress over the years from those who didn't mark their seedlings and somebody or something messed up the order! That's why I like the styrofoam cups. They're easy to write on with a ballpoint pen (pressing down so if the ink fades later you can still read the indentation). But the plastic cups work just as well for seedlings and you can put labels in the seedling soil for marking them.

As for where to buy seeds, you need to make your garden plan first, decide what you want to grow, how much for your large family, etc. I'd order the seeds right away as soon as that's done. Depending on what you want to grow, there are several seed companies that you may find please you more than the large ones that sell seeds in the big box stores. (Though most of us buy seeds whenever we see something we want.)

Some of the smaller reputable seed companies sell mainly one crop, like beans or tomatoes or potatoes or onions. Other reputable companies carry a variety of seeds, often very handy for gardeners just getting started, though the number of varieties of seeds is not as large as the "specialty" seed vendors. Just do a GardenWeb search for seed vendors that carry various seeds that you know you'll want. They all have on-line catalogs that you can access. And of course you can purchase whatever you see that you want in local stores.

By going to various GardenWeb forums, like Tomatoes, or Beans, etc., you can read what varieties of vegetables people like and where they buy the seeds. GW also has seed exchanges that you can access from each forum for open pollinated vegetables and herbs. To access the seed exchange forums, see this at the top of each forum page just above where the threads start:

Messages: On-Topic Discussions [Switch to: Exchanges : Gallery : Conversations]

Click on "Exchanges".

• luckynes13
    14 years ago

Hi Brian,

3x16 is a limited space but a good size for starting. To get the most out of it you might try seasonal gardening, square foot grdening and vertical gardening. Have you decided what you want to grow?
    In spring as soon as the ground can be worked there are things you can plant. Peas, salad greens spinach, beets onions. These are things that you sow directly into the ground.
    You can also get some extra space by container gardening. You can grow cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets.
    I grow peas, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers and squash vertically, so that fence might prove handy.
    Just a few ideas for you.

Nes

• Belgianpup
    14 years ago

A friend of mine makes raised garden beds out of Douglas fir (the main tree around here) 2x4s and lines them with flat roofing metal. She swears it keeps them from rotting out so fast. She went to a local company who supplies sheet roofing metal to the companies who actually install roofing, and asked them for 12"x10-ft strips of flat metal (they are capable of bending it for roofing, but she specified she wanted it flat). They cut it on their machines and coiled it up and taped it for her. Look in the phonebook under 'roofing materials'. Be sure to understand that you're buying it by the full width (42"). So, if it's $1.50/ft, that's $15 for the ten-foot length, divided into strips.

Sue

• Belgianpup
    14 years ago

Rainwater tends to be acidic, so that wouldn't be a problem, and would actually be better for watering your veggies than your local water, which is probably alkaline, just like your soil.

Sue

• brianlanning
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the replies.

3'x16' was a guess. I have half an acre lot so I could probably easily double that. I'm a bit worried about the association complaining, but the previous owner committed some horrible sins, then went into foreclosure and our back yard is visible from the neighborhood entrance. So I think anything green and maintained will be welcomed. Everyone knows we have 9 kids also.

Maybe 4'x16' with a trellis down the middle and access to both sides would be a better design?

Someone has a strawberry pyramid also (stark i think), we're thinking of doing that also.

I didn't think about direct sowing. I guess we'll do that for those things.

My wife suggested the hanging baskets. Some other people in the neighborhood did that last year with great results.

We're planning to grow a little bit of everything except for things we know that are cheap and plentiful in the grocery store (potatoes for example).

Still don't know about the box material. Someone suggested painting which is a good idea, but a pain in the butt. I know the local HD has cedar, so maybe we'll go that route.

thanks.

brian

• nancyjane_gardener
    14 years ago

Chicken wire has holes that are too big. A gopher or a vole can get through easily. It's also very thin and won't last more than a couple of seasons.
    In the same area of the hardware store you will find 1/4" screen or hardware cloth(?) that has much thicker wire. Even this eventually breaks down, but it lasted 8 years for me.
    Believe me! You don't want to have to dig out that huge raised bed!

• bejay9_10
    14 years ago

I like your enthusiasm - go for it! Experience IS the best teacher.

Only a few comments that I would differ - but optional. First - a 3 x 16 ft. planting area probably won't feed 9 kids, unless most of them eat only "Jack-in-the Box" stuff. I know!

I like the yogurt cups - cuz they last a long time - won't disintegrate in the sunlight, and I can easily slip my thin planting trowel in to extract seedlings many times before they "retire." Not necessary, but they have good "staying" power.

Great that you have a basement - very few people lucky enough in our part of the country - everybody stores their stuff in the "garage" - or putting stuff in outside storage and leaving their expensive cars outside!

Anyway - if I had a nice basement, I would skip the small table with hanging lights, and put up shelves, perhaps using styrofoam between the shelves and damp wall for protection. You're going to want to store some canned goods aren't you. (Why grow stuff if you're not going to make sauerkraut and jams, and stuff.)

So - those nice shelves could also be used to hang grow lights (shop lights, etc.), underneath - then put your potted seedlings underneath - stack some old telephone directories under the pots if they need to be lifted, but its better not to plant too early - anyway. (yes - I know how folks like to get "started early" even when the snow is still a foot or so deep outside).

About what to make the planter out of - mine are only 1 inch x 6 inch cedar boards, doubled to make 12 inches reinforced at the corners with 1 x 2 x 12 in. posts - plenty big enough. I just had to replace one after 10 years - not bad! Besides - why invest a lot - those kids might not be as helpful as you might think, and if your like me, some projects have a short life, especially if it requires physical labor. Oh yes - and I WOULD definitely put some hardware cloth screening on the bottom of that planter - that vole has LOTS of relatives.

Outside of that - I think your "good to go" and don't be discouraged, its just that a lot of us didn't have such nice folks to get us started in the beginning, and some of us probably are a little hard learned - and a bit set in our ways as to which gardening ideas work best.

Bejay

• dcgrrrl1979
    14 years ago

Hi Brian, I'm planning on starting from seed myself this year. Here's what I've figured out so far:

Garden Watch Dog has been a great resource for checking out company reputations. There are a lot of reviews there, and it's easy to get a feel for which companies are good. Take a look around the site - there's a ton of useful information

My state's cooperative extension has a great vegetable planting guide that consolidates information for a lot of crops - when to plant, planting distance, yield, number of plants or seed per person.
    http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/426/426-331/426-331.pdf

From what I know so far, it's far preferable to buy tomato plants and pepper plants.

• nycynthias
    14 years ago

Brian, first off, hats off to you for the fact that with 9 kids you're able to contemplate much of ANYTHING! LOL I have twin toddlers and I'm going gray just trying to keep up with the two of them.

Anyway--thinking through the replies you have gotten here, as well as your space and yield requirements, I wanted to reiterate the suggestion that someone else gave you, to look into Square Foot Gardening. You are already thinking along a lot of the author's concepts, such as easy reach into the beds (4' is a good max depth assuming you can reach from both sides), and the three part mix you mentioned is often called "Mel's mix" after Mel Bartholomew, the author of the SFG books.

The basic concept is that you break up whatever planting area you have into square feet, and each square foot is treated as its own little garden plot. Plant spacing within that SF is determined by the ultimate size of the plant, so radishes, for instance, can be spaced at 16 per SF while tomatoes (grown vertically/trellised) can be done as one plant per SF. I have found that gardening in an "intensive" manner like this does ultimately yield more produce per square foot than more traditional methods. When I started out gardening, it was at my Mom's knee, and she used French Intensive methods, which are not all that dissimilar to SFG, but much more laborious with all the double digging and stuff. I love the fact that SFG gives me more produce with a LOT less work.

The startup cost can be a bit high for a SFG but you're already budgeting for raised beds and soil, so you should be fine. In my personal opinion it's worth it to never have to till or heavily amend soil again, other than a couple shovelfuls of compost at harvest and planting times. I am all about streamlining the work and amping up the enjoyment!!

Just as a point of reference, by the way, my own SFG is 128 square feet (8 4x4 boxes) and yields far more than our family of 4-5 (my Dad is here part time) could ever eat. My seed starting is done the way you are thinking, with the cheapest shop lights from Home Depot, suspended from eye hooks/chains in my basement. I don't save the yogurt cups either, heh, but I should have. I use bottom-watering seed starting flats just for their convenience.

Last thought--for *some* people it's preferable to buy tomato plants and pepper plants, but in my personal experience tomatoes are as easy as anything else to start as long as you do it at the right time. I have had very mediocre luck with peppers since I'm too cheap to buy a seed starting mat and they really do require a lot of warmth to germinate and grow. They're sort of unusual in their heat requirements though, in my personal opinion. I'm in Zone 6 New York, by the way, so definitely familiar with the challenges of cold winters and wet springs!