SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veggiefaery

Garden Lesson Plans

veggiefaery
14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I have been away all winter waiting for the snow to melt. Now that the snow is (mostly) gone, and I have been pulling weeds from my garden beds here and there, the itch to garden is on me.

I spent all of last summer gardening in order to maintain my sanity while I looked for a new job. I was able to find a part time teaching job, and I am working with a great group of kids.

One of my students loves plants. She has has all sorts of seeds and tons of potted flowers. She asked me if we could grow some plants in the classroom. I suggested we start growing herbs after spring break, and then the students could take home the herbs the Friday before Mother's Day as a gift. Other students liked the idea just because they got to grow something, and some students are on board because I said we could do a mini garden unit instead of spelling for a week. I figure I'll take gardeners in the making anyway I can.

Now that I have agreed to do a garden unit, I have to put something together. After talking with my students, I realized none of them (except my one student) has any experience gardening. With that in mind, I really want to make this garden unit a lot of fun for them in hopes that at least some of them will garden when they are older.

Here are some things I want to teach my students about:

1) How to read the back of a seed packet

-plant spacing

-watering

-sun needs

2) How to water a seed/seedling and how often to water

3) Garden zones

4) Patience! Plants take a while to germinate

Then I'd like to put something together specific to each student's plant. Something that tells them special needs of a pea plant vs a watermelon plant.

For all of you gardeners out there, what might you consider important to teach new gardeners? Is there something really important I should hit on?

Thanks!

Comments (7)