SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mea2214

Strange Pine Bark fines find

mea2214
14 years ago

It's that time of the year for my annual search for the elusive pine bark fines, and hopefully find enough where I can rejuvenate a decent percentage of my containers. Last year was difficult and I had to sacrifice and actually caught a decent sale at Home Depot on those compressed bales of potting mix. But last year I had to scrimp and make do with what I couldn't get. So this year I'm in desperate need of rebuilding a good percentage of containers with fresh stuff.

So yesterday, to my surprise, I wander into the local Home Depot and they had an entire pallet of Golden Trophy pine bark mulch which was absolutely perfect. I loaded up the van with 11 bags. Today I went back to get another 14 bags when I noticed there was another pallet of the Golden Trophy (#302TD) sitting in front of the one I picked from yesterday. This new pallet had the same SKU and product number but the pine bark chunks were much larger and completely unacceptable. I had to climb over that pallet to get to the pallet with the bags I got yesterday. It was a lot of work and no one from Home Depot were around to help me.

I'm kind of confused as how a company can put out mulch like this that can vary so drastically from pallet to pallet. Luckily the good pallet is in the back so no one will pick from that for awhile. I think 25 bags may be enough for me this year (I've already processed 7) but it's nice to have some around in case it's needed. I might go back and grab another 10 tomorrow to be safe.

It seems like all nurseries and garden centers around me (Chicagoland) have absolutely no clue about using pine bark fines to make container soil.

Comments (5)