SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlmka

Suggestions for school garden

dlmka
14 years ago

I've been working with the administration at my son's school (K-2nd grade) to start a vegetable garden on part of the property. I've requested 30'X30' on easily a 2+ acre lot, most of it just growing grass and not used for anything productive. While I wrangle with the School Board with things like insurance I want to start planning on what types of things to grow. Obviously because of the ages of the kids involved I want it to be easy things that kids are likely to eat. I've also read that colors outside the produce aisle norm will have a positive affect. Things like easter egg radishes, red lettuce, rainbow chard, and purple carrots. Other things on my list include peas, pole beans, cucumbers, pumpkins, tomatoes, bell peppers, and broccoli. We'll likely do annual flowers around the perimeter to keep things looking nice, probably zinnias because I can get bulk seed for almost nothing and they make fantastic cut flowers and provide lots of color all summer. Any other suggestions on either plants or starting a community garden?

Comments (15)