SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xeno057

Blueberries - Drainage, 5-1-1 Mix and Fertilizer Q's

xeno057
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've done some reading up on container blueberry planting. I am pretty new to gardening in general, so alot of it was an information overload. I have tried searching the forums for these answers, but have come up fruitless (hehe..)

So I have my Pine Bark Fines, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Perlite (fine, not course.. couldn't find coarse), fertilizer (Holly-tone by Espoma, 4-3-4), and two wide plastic containers.

I have two small blueberry plants. I would like to plant them today while I can, but the sun is going down on me fast. I'll be following the 5-1-1 mix.

My first question is regarding watering and drainage holes. These containers have no holes. Can someone point me in the right direction of how many 1/2" size holes I should be drilling? Is it "the more the merrier" or is there a point where too much is bad? Is drilling holes on the sides recommended? Should I be packing down the soil at a certain point, and leave it loose at a certain point? How much water should be applied after mixing and potting - enough so that some comes out of the drain holes?

My second question is regarding fertilizer. Do I add some from the get-go? How much should I add? I heard fertilizing during your weekly watering (~1 inch per week?) is a good idea. How much would I use per week? How exactly do you incorporate the fertilizer into the soil - just sprinkle it on top?

My last question is regarding mixing everything up. Do you guys have a good way of figuring out 5-1-1? Should I just fill up the container with each ingredient, eyeballing it, and then dump it out and mix? Should I use less perlite if it's fine as opposed to coarse?

Thank you! This is all new to me and I'm just trying to start on the right foot.

Richard

This post was edited by Xeno057 on Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:00

Comments (4)