SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

using black trash bags to warm soil?

I live in Boyne City Michigan which is in the northern part of the lower peninsula. My gardening season doesn't start until late May-early June and that's if the weather cooperates.

I have a very short growing season basically I have from late May-early June until October (maybe November if I'm lucky).

Warm weather vegetables (cucumbers, any kind of squash, melons, beans, peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, and okra) don't grow as well here because the summers where I live our mild; as a result they also tend to be cooler.

To heat up the soil so the seeds will germinate faster and so that I'll get bigger yields and have healthier plants, could I use black trash bags on top of the soil to heat up the soil? Would I have to cut holes in the trash bags that's equal to how big the plant will be, or can I just plant the seed and just cover the soil with a black garbage bag? Would I need to use a double thickness of the black garbage bags?

Also I plan to use bottle cloches with warm weather vegetables in addition to covering the soil with the black trash bags. Bottle cloches essentially act like a mini green house and will heat up the growing area for the seedling by 10-20 degrees. If I use the bottle cloches in addition to using the black garbage bags will I be overheating the plant?

Comments (15)