SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemurific

Any comments are welcome

Lemurific
11 years ago

Hi all. I would appreciate any and all advice you might provide regarding my front yard. Be honest, I can take it! This is East facing, in Cleveland (zone 6A), with a fair amount of clay in our soils. We are bringing out the left side bed. We will eventually bring out the right side bed, but that will happen later, as there is a new pathway that will have to be constructed.

What I hate in our garden:
(1) the Taxis ��" they are going to be gone ��" somehow, someway.
(2) A dying azalea on the left side ��" going to be gone
(3) How plain and rectangular our house looks. Look at our neighborsâ homes. They are all tudorâÂÂs and other 1920âÂÂs homes with loads of charm. Our house needs some character. It sticks out like a sore thumb as plain.

What I would like:
(1) Unique plants or combinations that are not in every yard.
(2) Drought tolerant plantings, as we have no sprinkler system
(3) More of a wild free form garden ��" the opposite of a topiary laden garden (beautiful, but not my style).
(4) Some plants under consideration: Agave, Blue Fescue, Miscanthus, Rosemary, Creeping Thyme, Sage, Lavender, Red Hot Poker, Speedwell, good vibrations juniper, Autumn sedum.
(5) Plants I am planning on keeping: 1 LadyâÂÂs Mantle, some mums, some phlox, 1 boxwood, 1 azalea, the large burning bush

What do I put around on either side of the front door? Should they be the same? Given our style of home, should we go for symmetry? I am leaning towards asymmetry, given that the left bed will be larger than the right? But I need some design help with this. Most people in the neighborhood use well pruned conifers: junipers, arborvitae, various topiaries, and I am not into that at all.

Also, what do you all think about a smaller Ginkgo on the far left, like maybe a Chi Chi cultivar?

We also have black window boxes, and the shutters are going to be painted black.

I know there is a lot in the post, but I really would appreciate any feedback. I am here to learn. Thank you for your time and comments.

Comments (36)