SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ballplayer10123

Reusing soil mix, newb needs help.

ballplayer10123
14 years ago

Hi all. Starting my second thread here on the garden web forums. I need some help deciding on how to amend my outdoor organic container garden fo this year.

DESCRIPTION: This is my third year gardening in kiddie pools. My mix is made up of about 70-75% peat (Sunshine Mix #4) and 20% mushroom compost/worm castings, with a small amount of added perlite. The pools are amended with 1 cup of lime per 3.8 cubic foot of mix, bone meal, 1/2 cup of greensand, and 1/2 cup Fox farm Marine Cuisine (10-7-7 + micronutrients). If my plants look like they need any additional nutrients I supplement with Advanced Nutrients Organic Iguana Juice, either Grow or Bloom forumla depending on time of year.

My Question is: This is my third year with these containers? Last year after aerating come Spring time I believe I reamended with half the original amount of Lime, Bone Meal, etc. It worked last year. However, should I be apprehensive about amending with lime again. Will my pH be out of control high? OR do those nutrients wash out of the soil (as there are plenty of drainage holes in the bottom of the kiddie pools) from the snow fall in the winter and rainfall in the spring. These containers were NOT covered during the inclement weather seasons.

I appreciate all who view this thread, and any help provided will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ballplayer10123

Comments (3)