SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feijoas_gw

Garden design: International, regional, cultural...

feijoas
12 years ago

{{gwi:19259}} {{gwi:19262}} This is my place from the front and back; it needs lots of maintanence and my aesthetics are...unusual, but not to worry, as I'm not looking for design ideas , but a discussion.

After seeing a few "let's just talk about design" threads recently, I'd be interested to read people's thoughts on, let's call it 'the internationalism of garden design’.

I find it fascinating reading the threads and looking at photos on this forum: all the houses and their immediate environments I've seen look very different from those in Australasia or Europe. Different cultures, settlement patterns, building materials, climate, you name it, I suppose.

For example, my place is fairly typical of an early 20th century New Zealand working-class property: weatherboard, compact, (1076 square ft house on about 4133 square ft land). Pretty small by American standards, but not by European!

There are some things discussed on this forum which are quite foreign to me, although I think it's usually more a matter of terminology than anything. Kerb appeal. Foundation planting. Privacy screens…

While the fundamentals of design are clearly the same everywhere: form, structure, using negative space and what have you, but if I asked “what should I do here” from my probably fairly unknown Southern hemisphere island, would people tailor their responses to my ‘otherness’, or do the same rules apply wherever I am?

I’m sure it’s clear I don’t have a specific question, but if anyone has any thoughts on landscape design’s regional and national specificity vs internationality I’d like to discuss the. Sounds like an essay topic, but I am not a student on the hunt for ideas!

It's a pretty open question(s), and if people start a conversation,whatever direction it heads in is fine with me!

Comments (12)