SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammie070502_gw

A Fun Topic--Favorite Children's Garden

18 years ago

Yeah, I know that there is a "Gardening with kids" forum...but, has anyone designed a kids' garden of which they were especially proud? What design principles or special tricks did you use?

I submitted a couple of plans for an open competition (and one of my plans was chosen) but it wasn't the really fun plan that I thought was sooooo fabulous.

The plan I was really excited about was a "Gulliver's Travels" theme and featured fun plays on scale. In one part of the garden, I wanted the visitors to feel really small, so there was on oversized chair (say 150% the size it should have been) and big-leaved plants like gunnera, petasites, and hosta. In another part, the visitor was encouraged to feel extra-big with a bench that was a little on the short side and the use of small, strange plants like creeping sedums. I featured plaques with short little plot-bites from the story and whimsical, tiled stepping stones throughout. I also chose as many outrageous looking plants as I could think of.

Although time has passed, I still wish that I'd had the opportunity to see this design realized--because I'd never make it for myself.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company