SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Steps and Sloping

aloha2009
12 years ago

Even though this has to deal with hardscape within a landscape, I'm wondering if this question may be handled better in one of the building forums.

At the eleventh hour, we may be completely changing our original layout of a patio and making it considerably larger. IF we can do this, and I do mean IF, we have some steps that we will need to incorporate with a significant drop off.

The new patio plan, would have a 26" height difference between the end of the patio and the edge of a retaining wall 5 feet away. We will need steps to navigate down through this area to the area below the retaining wall.

We plan on embedding into the patio a few steps (maybe 3) that could drop us down 18-24". We will then have a 5' x 6' (or 5'x 8') landing area/ramp and then additional steps to get to the lowest level below the retaining wall. There will be a flower bed on either side of the ramp in the area between the patio and retaining wall.

One possibility is instead/or in addition we could slope the 5' ramp distance between the patio edge (raised) and the retaining wall. This could decrease the amount of steps. I'm thinking though steps would be the better choice "comfort" wise, but it would take away space on the patio.

How steep is comfortable to have a sloped walkway instead of steps?

Between taking away patio area for steps and dropping down in height comfortably, what are the best ways to get from height A to height B?

If you had a 26" drop down, 4' levelish, and then another 30" drop down, how would you lay out your steps.

We want to break up the steps instead of having an ominous 7 steep steps or 10 comfortable steps from top of patio to bottom of yard.

These steps will be 6-8' wide.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living