SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cali_newbee

Help Design almost cleanslate small back/side yard (pics)

cali_newbee
16 years ago

hi

we just bought a new house and are exited that we have a backyard. I am confused as to what would be nice design for this small backyard. Please read what ever i type below with me being newbee in mind .. I could be typing perennials when i am thinking annuals :)

This is in cali/bay area (9 i think)

The house is facing east so the back yard is in west and side yard to the north. Backyard gets good sun but side yard gets no sun.

There are 3 trees in the back that i think i need to remove to make use of the already small area we have.

The depth of the yard is about 14' +/- 2 ft all around.

some thoughts :

- put pavers in the back 10'x 15 at the entrance to backyard. Shouldn't be a rectangle - so some cury design - don't know what would look good. I am not able to decide if this area should be covered or leave it open or probably cover this with some creepers going to the top from all four sides .. .

that will leave about 2' at the fence to plant some annuals. or may be roses. Anything close to the fence i can see from

inside the house as well as upstairs.

- I am thinking of adding a small semi-circle (or one i saw with water flowing out of lion's head) fountain close to the back fence ..(Centering the paver area) We have a road next to the house and i read that waterfall would mask the sound.

- After that i don't know - put a lawn on the other area with a stone path running from back to the side?

- leave a 2 -3 feet area along the fence all around to plant

some fruit trees may be? I saw a backyard with bamboo grown uniformly along the fence ... Looks very nice but read that bamboos are invasive?

- having a small gazebo crossed my mind but don't know if

i have space :) - pls don't scold me for even thinking about it :)

Ok i will let you comment. following are the pics :

Thanks all in advance for the help.

-Kal

back - looking south to north

{{gwi:18379}}

Back - looking North to south

{{gwi:18380}}

side - looking East to west

{{gwi:18381}}

Comments (17)