SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justaguy2

proper fertilization of vegetable plants

justaguy2
16 years ago

Much discussion and questions appear in this forum from those wishing to container grow veggies.

Today I have found a resource that is incredibly useful in determining proper nutrient levels for various veggies.

The link is this

It is a fairly long article (by web standards), but please take the time to read it in it's entirety as it does a pretty good job of explaining what nutrient problems look like on plants. Once you get 1/3rd of the way down you will see a long list of references, but scroll down further to get to the tables showing tissue analysis for various veggies.

This should answer any question of what is 'the best' fertilizer for a specific veggy.

What surprised me the most is that I have long held that plants like lettuce did best with a high N fert, it appears they actually take up the same amount to double the amount of potassium as nitrogen; and corn, another veggie thought to have high N requirements takes up the same amount of K as N.

While the article is long and bit bit detailed I think all veggie growers container or in ground would do well to master the information presented in the link.

I hope this helps some of you be more successful.

Comments (15)