SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnycash99

Planter Design for Desert Species

17 years ago

I am an architect at a firm in Phoenix, AZ. I am working on a commercial project in Scottsdale, AZ that has several large planters sitting on top of a parking garage. The planters are made of concrete and contain around 4-5 feet of soil. My team and I have worked out most of the issues surrounding drainage etc but we are concerned that the trees will tip over in high winds due to the shallowness of the planters. As you all know desert species typically send out a deep tap root for support but that will not be possible in the planters. Do any of you know of any systems for securing the trees roots in the planter. Our thought was perhaps some sort of metal or plastic mesh buried in the soil but secured to the planter so that the roots could grow around and cling to it for support. If any of you have experience with this or any other methods or products for securing tree roots I would appreciate your help.

-J

P.S. This would be in addition to standard tree staking which we would like to remove after 2-3 years.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions