SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lnewport_gw

When to plant Garlic

lnewport
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

If you all can't tell I'm pretty new to gardening so hence all the questions. :)

Last year as an experiment I planted a few cloves of garlic (from a store bought white garlic)in my garden box. I think I planted them around May or June.

Well I planted them more to earn the tops than to earn some new garlic bulbs and the tops grew and died as it became hot and dry down here but once it turned cooler in the fall the garlic started growing again so I thought this was interesting and planted a few more cloves to see how it turns out.

The garlic I planted survived the winter freeze we had and in one of my garden boxes I now have three very large necks of garlic, and a few smaller necks.

I'm thinking this year of building another garden box and devoting it to growing garlic but when is the right time to plant??

I haven't dug up the garlic I've grown yet so I don't know the outcome but from the looks of it the ones I planted in the summer are rather large where the ones I planted in the fall are smaller.

Should garlic cloves be planted in the summer and allow to die off like mine did?

Comments (4)