SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamebird

Watering with soapy water

gamebird
16 years ago

Hello there!

Last week I decided to start some radish seeds in a container while I'm living at my mom's, waiting for our new house to be finished. I bought some potting mix and tossed some Cherry Belle radish seeds in it, then mussed up the top to bury them. I gave them a pint or so of water from the tap.

Then I asked my mom for a water spritzer and she handed me one, which I used morning and night for a few nights to keep the soil moist on top. Saturday I noticed the water that was left in the spray bottle was kind of sudsy, so I squirted some on my hand and tasted it. EW! Soapy water that my dad had been using to test for leaks in pipes. EW! Nasty tasting stuff.

I quit using that. So far, the radishes haven't sprouted. I planted them Thursday evening. It seems to me that radishes were always up in two or three days, or am I misremembering? How harmful is it to water with soapy water? Should I toss out the potting soil too?

I've watched a few of Jerry Baker's videos and he's all the time using concoctions that include Dawn and liquid soaps. I've read that most of the soaps we use aren't dangerous to consume - they just taste awful.

Comment (1)