SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jandrus82_gw

Backyard Idea's & Privacy

jandrus82
11 years ago

I need some landscaping opinion's on how I'm landscaping my backyard.

I live just southwest of Grand Rapids, MI (zone 5B). New construction house as of 2 years ago. Soil is getting decent. Adding P & K when I can. PH is high at 7.8. From my uploaded design you can tell North - South.

I'm trying to create a privacy hedge to the back of my lot to block out the neighbors deck. The Serviceberry is already planted (as of 9/2012). Love it.

Also trying to gain a little privacy / shade / sound barrier west of my lot. I'm the second house in on the subdivision (first house is a young cpl that hasn't done much (any) landscaping) and I want a "somewhat" dappled privacy from the road to my (future)deck/patio. The Royal Burgundy Cherry tree on the West part of my lot is also planted (as of 9/2012). I like it but I am wondering if I should of went with something else. I almost bought either a Armstrong Maple / Eastern Redbud instead but I went with the Cherry because of the awesome foliage. The nursery I bought these tree's at suggested a Autumn Blaze Maple or European Hornbeam but I think these both will get to big (my lot is only 10,000 sq ft) and "over power" the back yard per say.

As you can see most of my concern is with the Cherry Tree. I'm adding a Columnar Blue Spruce just off the NW foundation to help with the privacy. But I'll take any opinion's on everything that comes my way.

Comments (5)