SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcrowder_gw

Gardening From the Past

13 years ago

In the dead of winter, I spend a lot of time reading about gardening. I came across these 2 books listed below on the internet. They are so old they are of public domain and anyone can download them for free. I found these books absolutely amazing. Even if you weren�t a gardener, their style of writing and descriptions are completely entertaining. I included one of the links but they are both easily googled. Rockwell has a huge list of gardening books about every subject you could imagine. I even found a couple of images of the original cover of the book w/ photos of him, I�m guessing, wheel plowing his garden. He talks about plowing w/ a horse, pest control w/ arsenic, all kinds of things that have lead us to where we are today.

My favorite quote from Mr. Rockwell�s book is,

"This beautifully prepared garden spot--or rather the plant food in it--is to be transformed into good things for your table, through the ever wonderful agency of plant growth. The thread of life inhering in the tiniest seed, in the smallest plant, is the magic wand that may transmute the soil's dull metal into the gold of flower and fruit."

Wow�does anyone write like that anymore? I hope you guys find this as intriguing as I did. I�d also love any info on the authors if you happen to have any. Can you imagine the time it took to create these books? I�ve located copies on the internet where you can

"THE FIELD AND GARDEN VEGETABLES OF AMERICA"

CONTAINING FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF NEARLY ELEVEN HUNDRED SPECIES

AND VARIETIES; WITH DIRECTIONS FOR PROPAGATION, CULTURE, AND USE.

BY FEARING BURR, JR. (1863)

AND

"HOME VEGETABLE GARDENING"

A COMPLETE AND PRACTICAL GUIDE TO THE PLANTING AND CARE OF ALL

VEGETABLES, FRUITS AND BERRIES WORTH GROWING FOR HOME USE

By F. F. ROCKWELL (1911)

http://www.fullbooks.com/Home-Vegetable-Gardening.html

Have a great day ya�ll!!!

Jennifer

Comments (4)