SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keithrnjd

Wanted One Newbie Who Wants to Be Adopted

keithrnjd
16 years ago

I would like to "adopt" a new gardener today! Let me know who you are and why you would like to be adopted. (Hint: humor works.) I will select one newbie gardener and send a package of plants. This package will include plants for the part sun to shade garden. I will include at least 3 different plants, at least one of which is a named hosta. All of my plants are named, so they will come labled.

Caveat #1: You MUST have a gardenweb page that is actually used to be selected, as I want to adopt someone who cares enough about their gardens to at least list something on the site! ;-)

Caveat #2 (Yes, there's a catch!) You must agree to a) adopt a new gardener within the next year yourself; or b) perform some other random act of kindness today. Your choice!

Please post here, and not to my e-mail address. Make sure that you have enabled links so that I am able to contact you. If I can't contact you, I will choose another gardener. Thanks!

OK, who needs a new gardening mom?

Sally

Comments (18)

• plant-one-on-me
    16 years ago

I would like to nominate my granddaughter Jordan. She absolutely loves to be in the garden. She is 3 years old and already has a green thumb. One day while driving her home in the car she was sucking her thumb, which she has done since her ultrasound pictures, and I asked her what it tasted like. She proudly announced "it tastes like dirt"! We had been planting earlier that day and I guess she didn't wash her hands well enough LOL. I am shameless attaching her photos in hopes that you will choose her. Kim

{{gwi:30140}}
    {{gwi:30135}}
    {{gwi:30138}}
    {{gwi:30139}}

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Sally,

What a kind and generous offer, and just the thing to get some members on board with their member page, email link, trade lists posted.

Kim,
    I'm thinking Sally meant a member...complete with a member page blurb....Note Caveat#1. Maybe you could share the pics and info about Jordan on your Member Page blurb. That way, we can all easily find them to enjoy over and over. She is such a sweetie.

Good Luck!

Sue...rbb

• keithrnjd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue is correct, and I am sorry if I wasn't specific enough.

Jordan is a dollbaby, for sure! I'll bet she'll be on here soon with her own page and tradelist!

Sally ;-)

• plant-one-on-me
    16 years ago

Oh Sorry Sally...Jordan and I do trade together but I guess I could make her own page. She even has her own little garden spot at their mobile home to grow a few vegetable seeds she traded for this year.

I haven't figured out how to add stuff other than a trade list to my page so don't know how to add this information. Any help would be appreciated. Kim

16 years ago

Kim,

I got your email and replied to it. I
    will post that info here as well for others who may be frantically wanting to update their email link, mem page, etc.

To update the above items, go to the bottom of any page here, and click on the Member pages link. From there you can edit your personal info, email link, blurb and trade lists

Sue...resident busy body,

• herb_lover_grower
    16 years ago

Hi I would like to be adopted. I am a new gardner. I just got a house and I am looking forward to gardening. So if you have not adopted someone as yet I would like to be considered.

• keithrnjd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I will not be choosing my adoptee until Saturday the 19th, because I won't have time to dig until then. So, if you are interested, let me know. This is not necessarily a first come, first served thing, so don't let the fact that you weren't first to respond keep you from replying.

Sally

• dbeautybug
    16 years ago

Hi Sally I would love to get adopted. This is such a great idea! I started gardening last year when I got diagnosed with advanced retinopathy in both eyes. Since I was a hairdresser I could no longer work. I'm 35 with a wonderful 14 year old son who's autistic. I have a great balcony I do my containers on but funds limit my gardening. My yard is the size of a parking space and it's shade and part sun so I would love something to spruce it up. Thanks so much. It's hard knowing that the day will come when I will be totally blind so loving life is my #1 goal and getting up everyday to tend my plants is truly a blessing that I thank god for every day.

16 years ago

Busy Body Sue here again...also wanting to see some newbies giving us all some info about them selves on their Member Page Blurb

per above:
    Caveat #1: You MUST have a gardenweb page that is actually used to be selected, as I want to adopt someone who cares enough about their gardens to at least list something on the site! ;-)

Dbeautybug,
    it would be great if you put what you posted above on your Member Page Blurb. You can do that via the Member Pages link found at the bottom of any page here.
    That's so cool that you have a balcony for gardening.

Sue....(resident busy body)

• keithrnjd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, this is cool, Sue. Again, my bad for not being specific enough. Whew, who knew this would be as confusing as it is!

I should have said that as long as someone actually uses the member page and/OR TRADE page. I always am a little wary of trading with someone who doesn't have anything at all on the site. You know, nothing on either page.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. Hope this helps.

Sally

• dbeautybug
    16 years ago

I'm sorry Sue, when I read your entry I felt a little embarrassed because I thought "oh gosh, I put myself out there for everyone to see and I didn't follow the instructions right!" I have learned so much from just wandering around here but I guess I'm more behind the scenes. I have a very active trade list and at the bottom is a small description of who I am. I guess I put it in the wrong place so I'll be sure to move it. I have done some great seed trades and have established great relationships with people I do revisit just to say hi. I participate on wintersowing, citrus, New Jersey Trade, seed trade, cacti, other exchange,propagation,and now plant trade. With the extra seeds I've had from the generous members here I've posted on freecycle and have also posted that I would be happy to tend anyone's garden in my area if they don't have the time to do it themselves. I don't have extra money to do all the gardening I would like to do but I have alot of time so that's what I try to share. I really haven't become comfortable with my disability to the point where I share it freely, I just brought it up because I wanted Sally to have an understanding on why I would like her plants instead of just going out and buying some. Again I'm sorry I will modify my page to your specifications I don't want to be known as a taker and not a giver. Thank you so much for your time.
    Deanna

• keithrnjd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's all good Deanna, no worries!

Sally :-)

• weenerdogg
    16 years ago

Keith are you still taking entries. If so I will give you all kinds of reasons to pick me lol.

16 years ago

I'm not sure if this is still open or not...but thought I would repeat this for weinerdogg

Sue...rbb

• weenerdogg
    16 years ago

Can you clarify what you mean by used? I have populated my trade list and favorite boards. Thanks I want to utilize my space as much as possible regardless if this is still open.

16 years ago

Hi Weener...Great that you got your lists posted!

You might now write a blurb about your gardening style, challenges, likes, dislikes, gardening history, etc, on your member page...like what you see when you click on My Page

I'm just the the resident busy body here...doing my busy body thingy.

sue

• keithrnjd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, Weener, I e-mailed one person, and am waiting for their response. I will get up with you if I don't hear from them.

Sally

• weenerdogg
    16 years ago

Thanks so much! I think it's a really nice thing to do whether I get chosen or not

Jenn

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES