SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
botemout

How to prepare new garden

botemout
15 years ago

Hi all,

Last year we bought some property and animals (cattle, goats, chickens, rabbits and pigs). We had a small garden last year and hope to enlarge it to about 1/4 acre this year. Problem is, with the exception of about a 25'x25' plot that I tilled last year, most of what I have will be tilled for the first time this spring. The ground is rocky and clayish.

So, here's my question: is there any way that I can use the significant amount of rabbit, goat and pig manure that I have in my barn to enhance this year's garden. I won't have time to properly compost the manure so I'll need to find some method of using it to amend the soil with taking the time. Is this not possible? I'm pretty sure that I can just take the rabbit manure and put it right on top of the newly tilled ground (rabbit manure not being very "hot") but the pig manure probably can't just be put into the ground. But I've heard of people putting thin layers of uncomposted manure on top of the ground; with some rain and some sun, 3-6 weeks before planting, might this be enough to help the soil and not cause problems? The goat manure is probably not usable as it's mixed in with tons of wasted hay that they spilled; I'd probably be introducing endless weeds if I put this on the garden raw.

Any advice?

Thanks much

Comments (7)