SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paully1

Interpreting 'The Last Frost Date' for seed starting and planting

paully1
13 years ago

I am wondering if there is any consensus on how the interpret the term "The Last Frost Date?"

For example, here in Toronto, "The Last Frost Date" given in any of the tables is May 9th. That, as I understand it, is the 50% date. So in half of the years there will be no frost after May 9 and in the other half there will. (Statistically speaking)

Now the general understanding around here is that May 24th (two weeks after the listed 50% date) is the "generally safe" date for planting tender plants. I believe that May 24th is what is called the 90% date, meaning only one year in ten might have frost after May 24th.

So, here is my core question: If the packet says start seeds six weeks before your "Last Frost Date," is that six weeks before the 9th, or the 24th? And the other side of that question: if planting instructions say "two weeks after your last frost date," is that two weeks after May 9, (the 50% date) or two weeks after May 24th, (the 90% or locally generally considered "safe" date)?

I am optimistically hoping that there will some consensus on this question. What do you say?

Comments (6)