SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sinfonian

Indoor seed starting... what am I doing wrong?

sinfonian
16 years ago

I asked a while ago if I could move my broccoli and cauliflower starts to the garage where the sill gets 8-10 hours of sunlight but the temperature is 45 degrees, peaking at 60 in direct sun. I tried it and three weeks later, very little growth has occured.

About a week ago, I started four more seeds of each and in a few days on the fridge, they sprouted. This time, I tired a slightly less sunny room inside my house (so it's 70 degrees). Note I didn't try this room initially since it is the nursary and my wife vetoed the idea, only to reconsider when I begged. Within a day of putting it in the sun, the plants had uniformially grown to nearly the size of the much older plants.

My newbie mind thinks the garage is not working, so not wanting to shock the plants by bringing them inside where it's 70, I put the trays on a heating pad set on low (see link to the picture). The temperature on a thermometer laying on the pad fluctuates between 55 and 65.

Is the heating pad ok for the plants?

Will heating the bottom of the trays and thus the water in the trays help at all or am I just wasting electricity?

Should I instead bring them back inside and put them in the nursery with the others? Would it hurt them or help them?

Sorry for the multitude of questions but I'm new at this and could go in many different directions. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:26817}}

Comments (12)