SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gypsysunrise

Vegetables grown here have a bitter taste? =(

gypsysunrise
12 years ago

With Spring approaching, i've been thinking a lot about gardening. I tried to grow a few things this past Summer. But, between the ducks stealing my tomatoes and the rest of the veggies tasting inedibly bitter, it wasn't a good year. lol

I planted cabbage, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, carrots and raddishes. The cabbage was stunted by some insect, and never recovered. The tomatoes kept my ducks happily fed....and me wishing I had put up a fence to keep them out of the garden!! lol The onions started well, but something got them (the ducks? lol Not sure!). The raddishes and carrots grew slowly, never reaching full size. The lettuce also grew slowly. And tasted AWFUL! =( I mean, sour/bitter, just plain awful. I planted the SAME lettuce and carrots in a tiny area out back, near my shed. In the spot where I had an old hay bale breakdown into "compost". The lettuce grew pretty well, and tasted GREAT! (same seed packet as was planted in the other garden) The carrots didn't mature very quickly, but the foliage did. I did get small carrots out of it, and they were good.

So, what could be wrong with the soil, to cause very little growth, and very, VERY bitter flavor in the veggies? I'm not sure what to do?

Comments (7)