SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peaches_turn

have jerusalem artichoke/chocolate sunflower want any large canna

peaches_turn
16 years ago

i have some jerusalem artichoke tubers/chocolate sunflower(?) for trade for any variety canna. i prefer the large canna not the dwarf. I have grown these sunflowers for 2 years and they get taller each year, they do have a chocolate scent to them. To me they resemble a black-eyed susan instead of a sunflower, as they are no where near the size of a sunflower head. I am pasteing the information from the actual auction where i purchased the original tubers.

I would love some cannas. prefer the large variety. Will trade the tubers i have or will pay postage. (have the king humbert and giant stuttgart cannas ordered). if interested please email me at synuay(at)yahoo.com or sc00pdd00(at)yahoo.com I have included the ebay item number hopefully you can still find this auction to see photos of the plant i have if you are not familiar with it. if not email me for pics.

[[[

ebay Item number: 7762834135

PERENNIAL CHOCOLATE SUNFLOWERS

WINNER/ BUYER GETS 10 BULBS

When I first heard about these, I couldn't believe it. How absurd! Perennial Chocolate scented sunflowers? I had to try if for myself. And I wanted a screen between us and our neighbors, so I planted them.

Every single tuber came up and grew about 7' tall making a great screen. When the first bloom appeared I had to smell it. Sure enough, It had a wonderful chocolate scent.

Without telling him what it was I asked a neighbor to tell me what they smelled like. He said "Is that chocolate?" On top of all that, this flower grows tubers under it that are edible. They have a slight nutty taste. They are sometimes called Jerusalem Artichoke.

They should be dug in the fall for harvest like potatoes. They can be cooked like a potato and have a slight nutty taste. But my kids stand in line when I'm cutting these up for packaging to get a piece to eat raw. Yummy!! (They are actually a tuber.) But make sure you save some tubers for planting next year.

Well, it still amazes me, but if you are like me you'll have to try it for yourself. They are very hardy and can take a freeze like a tulip and still grow. Zones 4-9. Can be left in ground over winter. Plant about 3 or 4 inches deep in full sun. Space them 12-18" apart for a screen. Should be planted immediately upon receipt.

Bulbs are actually tubers or tuber pieces.]]]

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company