SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily987

Is this variety of white eggplant inedible??

Emily987
11 years ago

Hi,
I'm growing a white eggplant variety that was labeled "White Beauty", but am afraid that it may actually be its non-edible eggplant counterpart after stumbling upon an article on google. (Here is the article... see the Description section: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mv061). My plant perfectly matches the description of the similar-looking non-edible eggplant variety. It has occasional white spines on the plant (these are *mostly* limited to the stem attached to the fruit), the plant has some purple-tinged stems, it's about two feet tall and one foot across, has wavy-edged leaves, and purple flowers. The eggplants themselves are white, and somewhat oblong, though I have not let them reach full size so I don't know how big that is or what color they are when ripe.
Could anyone please let me know whether this is, in fact, the edible version of eggplant, or if it's the inedible kind? Or, could you post some pictures of your edible/inedible white eggplant? I'm hoping that the description on that website is wrong, or that I have a particular variety that is similar to the non-edible kind (but is, in fact, edible.) I have attached a picture of my plant to further help. Thanks!

-Emily

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County