SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherri_anne_gw

Need Help with Al's gritty mix Concerned

sherri-anne
11 years ago

I have been lurking around the forums for weeks and spending many hours of reading on Al's gritty mix.

I have spent many days tracking down the ingredients. Since I could not find turface I used NAPA 8822 floor dry.

For my house plants I Used this formula

4 parts pine bark fines sifted

5 Granite (gran I grit) sifted

3 parts floor dry sifted

I used a 1 gallon Ice cream container to measure my parts so this was a big batch

I also added 1 tablespoon per gallon of mix gypsum

I used this formula because the floor dry holds more water than turface.

I had a few plants that have had severe reactions.

I have a peace lily from my fathers funeral in bloom from 5 years ago- been in the same pot for ever-and the mineral salt build up on the side of the container was obvious.Yeah I messed with the roots quit a bit getting it out of its old soil but was pretty careful as this plant has sentimental value. The plant was not outgrowing the pot and the roots were not that vigorous so I bleached and cleaned the same pot and put it back in.

After planting this in the gritty mix- it immediately fell over. I was not concerned because these plants wilt frequently when dry so I figured it would perk up. It has been about four days now and it is still laying on its and the leaves look worse and worse some yellowing. I got some foliage pro and mixed that at a quarter strength to try and perk it up- that did not work either.

I also got a couple plants from the nursery a lantanna and a fuchsia and transplanted them and the plants shriveled up with crispy leaves over night. I have other plants that seam to be doing okay Clivia (thank goodness), aloe, christmas cactus, spider plants, coleus

I am not new to gardening, but I am new to gritty mix and never had such severe reactions from plants. I feel like something is off.

One concern I have is since I mixed such a big batch maybe the gypsum was not mixed thoroughly enough. I know my particulate size is right I spent many hours studying the pictures in the threads.

I am not sure what else to try Epsom salts, more gypsum. I am thinking maybe a ph shock in certain plants.

I am really concerned because I went gung ho and put 1-1-1 mix in my coconut lined window boxes- now I am afraid that when I do get plants for them they wont thrive either as lantanna and fuchsia were my main picks for them.

does anyone have any suggestions or experience with certain plants not doing well with gritty mix, anything I can do to insure success

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz