SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

how much of each vegetable to plant?

I live in Boyne City Michigan, which is in the upper part of the lower peninsula.

If I wanted to have enough vegetables to eat for myself, as well as have leftovers to freeze and preserve with fruits and vegetables, would I just use the guidelines of how much you would plant for a family of four? If I were to follow these guidelines would I be planting too much?

Also can somebody please tell me how many of each vegetable I would need to plant? Please specify this in quantity per vegetable not by weight. I've tried to look up something on the internet with how much to plant; I've managed to find various pdfs about it, and unfortunately they all tell you just how much to plant by weight. This confuses me and I don't understand it at all.

This it what I'd be growing:

*sugar baby watermelons

*cantaloupe

*honeydew

*buttercup squash

*butternut squash

*lettuce (bibb and romaine)

*spinach

*kale

*collards

*cabbage

*broccoli

*bok choy

*tomatoes-roma, grape, cherry

*pumpkin

*zucchini

*yellow squash

*bell peppers-sweet (green and red)

*snap peas

*turnips

*golden beet

*parsnips

*various beans (black, pinto, kidney, navy, lima, garbanzo, green)

*cauliflower

I'd also like to know what the quantity of herbs I would need for one person would be that I'd need to grow. I would just use them fresh, so I wouldn't really have to worry about growing them for future use.

Please note I wouldn't be growing all of this at once, and this is for FUTURE reference.

Comments (13)