SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aeleva

how to fix it: filled raised beds with planting mix!

aeleva
11 years ago

This is the first year that I'm going to try to have a "real" vegetable garden (first year in a house with actual sun!).

In September, I built two 8'x3'x18" raised beds. I filled the bottom 6-8" with a non-compacted mass of dead prunings/sticks/leaves from the yard layered with some "planting mix" from a local nursery. The last 8" were filled with with 12 CF "planting mix", 4 CF of "chicken manure compost" from Lowes, ~2 CF of "redwood compost" (which looks more like a fine mulch). The beds have been watered regularly since October when I planted about 25% of the area with garlic and other winter vegetables.

I've been reading Golden Gate Gardening and it says that filling raised beds with planting mix is a mistake because it's not actually soil -- and for something this big you'd want to fill with soil. I think I did exactly this, although I did include layers of leaves and compost.

I'm starting transplants inside now to plant out in April timeframe, so I have a little over a month.

My questions are:
- In the long run, am I screwed, or is this a mistake that can be gradually fixed?

- What can/should I add to amend my beds to make it into soil? Golden Gate Gardening is suggesting (in general) a regimen of 2" of cold method compost, 8 lbs of alfalfa meal, 2.5 lbs of bone meal, and a 1/2 lb of kelp meal spread between the two beds.

- I have some unfinished compost on hand; if the unfinished compost is bad to add, what is a specific type of compost I should buy (only option) -- the chicken manure or steer manure at Lowes is labeled as "compost". Does this count? Is this the "compost" that's repeatedly referred to everywhere that describes soil amending?

- Can I just add and mix this in to the areas without plants, and then amend the areas with plants later? (my beds have settled by about 4" since the fall, so I've been adding additional "redwood compost" and "chicken manure compost" and more "planting mix" to the top of the areas where I've planted early spring seeds). How do you time soil amendment in California beds? It seems like there will always be plants in at least part of the beds because the growing season is so long.

- Any other things I need to do this year to try to get through my season? GGG suggests that planting mix is a bad idea because it's not designed to support plants year after year, and while it might work okay for one year, it's not soil and will require frequent fertilizing.

Sorry for so many questions -- I really don't want to fail my first year and I'm afraid a mistake like this could be the one...

Comments (12)