SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
williammorgan

Trying to make $ense out of 5-1-1

williammorgan
10 years ago

Once I tried to use mulch(bark)for mulch and had a bad experience and never went back.

However I'm looking for an economical solution to container garden things since all my other areas are filled up. I've read "fine" pine bark is the key that is slightly decomposed. I don't see this available any where in large quanities only 4 quarts of it for $10...ummm I think I can find some potting mix much cheaper. Other than removing the old mulch off your neighbor's property in the dead of night, wher do you find this stuff? What is it's purpose. Mulch sold at Home Depot and Lowes is designed for longevity. They purposely don't offer anything fine in large bags for $2 or $3. So what is fine pine bark mulch for? I figure if I know why people use it I might have a better chance at finding it at more affordable prices.

I'm still afraid of nitrogen deficiency though. I've read countless posts and all the warnings. I won't have time to decompose it. So is it even worth the risk when the stores are not going to carry the tomato plants I grow and a tomato is not just a tomato.

I intended to just use promix but can't find it locally anymore and was worried about the over all cost. Don't want to use miracle grow potting mix because I don't like the fertilizer in it. I prefer organic fertilizers and since using them my tomatoes have done better.

I think it would be nice to have a cheap solution but I'm not seeing one. I see big bales of peat, perlite in my near future.

Comments (19)