SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

'New' Tomato-tone vs 'Old' Tomato-tone - - Myth-Busters Challenge

rnewste
15 years ago

Last year, I ran a number of "Myth-Busters Challenge" experiments with different brands of fertilizers, etc. I used a semi-clinical environment with the same plants in the same EarthTainer, separated by a mechanical divider wall.

{{gwi:16910}}

Here is a sample result with 2 identical Big Beef plants. The one on the left had Fox Farms Tomato Fertilizer, and the one on the right had Tomato-tone:

{{gwi:16913}}

Well, I was fat, dumb, and happy thinking I had "found" my ultimate fertilizer in Tomato-tone and "BAM!!" guess what, thay changed the formula this year!! Not only that, but $6.00 now only bought a 4 pound bag instead of last year's 5 pound size. Just only a 25% increase in these difficult economic times.

What is even more interesting is the new formulation the folks at Espoma are still calling "Tomato-tone". It varies significantly from the "old" formulation in several ways. Some maybe good - - some maybe not so good. Now, time for a run-off!!

The "old" formulation:

{{gwi:16918}}

And the "new" formulation:

{{gwi:16921}}

What is most interesting is that while NPK was reduced and several micros eliminated completely, they added some interesting microbe elements:

{{gwi:16924}}

So, I now have pairs of: Purple Haze, Goose Creek, Ed's Millennium, and NARX, one side with "old" Tomato-tone and the other compartment of each 'Tainer with the "new" Tomato-tone:

{{gwi:16927}}
{{gwi:16500}}

I'll post updates as the season progresses to see if the Espoma folks have really delivered a better product with the "new" Tomato-tone formulation.

Raybo

Comments (16)