SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lightfusegetaway

EarthTainer and Lettuce in Southern Arizona

lightfusegetaway
14 years ago

Hi folks.

I am fairly new to the Earthtainer concept and I'm looking forward to doing some planting this fall and winter here in Southern Arizona. I will be building a few Earthtainers, but I do have some questions about the Earthtainer's suitability for certain crops in a dry climate like Arizona.

Most of the Earthtainer posts on this site discuss tomatoes, but what I'd really like to do is grow some lettuce. How well do the Earthtainers work for this? Would a Version 2 box work for lettuce or would the added moisture output of a Version 1 box be more suitable? I've thought about setting up a box specially designed for lettuce, with a shallower growing chamber and a larger water chamber to guarantee plenty of moisture. Would that be a good direction to go in, or would some other form of irrigation be necessary for uniform soil moisture? I am concerned with the soil surface getting too dried out by the arid winds in my area (in a valley where there are more windy days than calm ones.)

Also, how well do these work for bush beans? How dense can they be planted? I think someone mentioned getting 28 plants in one 31 gallon box.

I'll have shade cloth on frames over the earthtainers. Early August is the beginning of the fall planting season here in the desert, and it's still rather hot.

Raybo, if you're reading this, you da man! Your design inspired me to start gardening again. What happened to that Forbes interview?

Comments (8)