SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dapper_gw

Strawberry Towers, 6' PVC, 5-1-1 mix

dapper
13 years ago

My plans for making my own hanging strawberry towers ars as follows.

1-6" diameter PVC pipe (36" long)

Drill 1/2" hold in 6" PVC end cap. Measure 12" from bottom of PVC pipe and make a mark around the pipe. Insert wire screen into cap.Cement cap to the bottom of the PVC pipe. Use 2" holesaw to make 4 holes around the pipe at the mark created earlier. Move up 4" and drill another 4 holes staggered from the previous 4 holes drilled. Keep measuring 4" higher and kep stagering each set of holes from the ones just below them. There will be 5 sets of holes. Should leave 4" at top of pipe. Drill holes about 2" down from top of pipe to be able to hang the tower up off the ground. Fill pipe up to first set of holes with the 5-1-1 and then lay in 4 strawbery plants and continue to the top of the pipe. 20 plants per tower.

I may use a longer pipe to get more distance between each set of holes. Something like 6" to 8" from each set of holes.

I would top water each pipe. I understand the top will dry out quicker. I am hoping by leaving 12" at the bottom with no holes and approximately 4" from the top set of holes will in some way help with this issue.

Would like to get opinions and a recommendation of what to use as fertilizer, whether it should be either grandual or liquid, and maybe how often to fertilize.

I know Al had mentioned in another one of my threads about setting up a drip leg. I have never heard of this, nor do I know how to go about it.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting