SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontnative

Layering bulbs when forcing

ontnative
11 years ago

After reading Art Wolk's excellent book on bulb forcing, I went to a garden centre, bought a large plastic pot and 130 assorted hardy spring bulbs. Following Art's advice in his book, I planted all of these in the same pot, in various layers. I think there were four layers in all. Art suggests planting forced bulbs very close together, even touching sometimes, which is contrary to what many others recommend.

The bulbs planted are as follows:

5 Narcissus Glen Clova (yellow/orange)

5 Narcissus Fortissimo (yellow/orange)

5 Narcissus Raspberry Ring (white/light orange)

5 Hyacinth Purple Voice (purple-pink, not true purple)

10 Tulip Princess Irene (red/purple)

10 Tulip Sweetheart (yellow/white)

10 Tulip Praestan's Unicum (red with variegated foliage)

20 Muscari armeniacum (blue)

10 Iris Danfordae (yellow)

10 Crocus Rembrance (purple)

10 Crocus Large Flowering Purple

The pot was watered well, and now sits in my cold cellar for approximately 11-12 weeks, the end of January.

I have the feeling that this is going to look really great or be a total dud. Have to wait and see. My choice of bulbs was limited to what was on sale at the nursery. For example, I had wanted blue hyacinths, but none were left. I had also wanted some dwarf narcissus, such as Tete a Tete, but again, there were none. I had to guess a bit on the actual blooming times, so not quite sure if there will be any colour clashes or not. I am hoping to get a nice sequence of bloom, at least 4 weeks.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations