SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Went a little bulb crazy, now for some questions

Karolina11
11 years ago

Alright, so I went a little bulb ordering crazy when I found easytogrowbulbs.com this july. First year ordering bulbs so I could not control myself. They are all set to arrive this Saturday so it is a full weekend of planting for me.

However, I have a few questions.

First off, here is what I ordered:

Allium Globemaster

Allium Azureum (Blue of the Heavens)

Allium Moly

Anemone Blanda

Bearded Iris Pink Attraction

Bearded Iris Harvest of Memories

Bearded Iris Autumn Circus

Bleeding Hearts

Camassia leichtlinii 'Blue Danube'

Chionodoxa Blue Giant Chionodoxa Pink Giant Crocus

Crocus chrysanthus

Advance Crocus vernus King of the Striped

Narcissus Pink Wonder

Narcissus Pipit

Narcissus Sir Winston Churchill

Narcissus Rip Van Winkle Narcissus Yellow Cheerfulness

Narcissus Replete

Narcissus Avalon

Narcissus Golden Bells

Narcissus Pink Charm

Dutch Iris Apollo

Dutch Iris Eye of the Tiger

Dutch Iris Golden Giant Eremurus Robustus (Foxtail Lily, Desert Candle)

Grape Hyacinth

Hyacinth Gypsy Queen

Hyacinth Peter Stuyvesant

Hyacinth Hollyhock

Lily, Trumpet African Queen

Lily, Trumpet Golden Splendor

Lily, Trumpet Pink Perfection

Lily, Trumpet Regale

Lily, Oriental Lily Casa Blanca

Siberian Iris Super Ego

Spanish Bluebells (Hyacinthoides) Pink

Tulip Little Beauty

Tulip Flaming Parrot

Tulip Linifolia

Tulip Marjoletti

Leucojum Gravetye Giant

Ornithogalum nutans

Stripped Squill (Pushkinia)

Oxalis Triangularis

Crocus Sativus

Here are my questions:

1. I have lots of part shade/sun space and not a huge amount of full sun space. I was going to attempt to grow the following in part sun (around 4 hours of sun, dappled shade the rest). They are shaded by either cherry or lilac trees so it would be full sun in early spring and then goes into the part sun conditions:

Striped squill

Crocus Sativus

Ornithogalum nutans

Siberian Iris Super Ego

Spanish Bluebells

Leucojum Gravetye Giant

Tulip Little Beauty (species)

All three hyacinths

Grape Hyacinth

Narcissus Sir Winston churchill

Narcissus Yellow Cheerfullness

Narcissus Avalon

The chionodoxa

The other crocus varieties

Has anyone had any luck growing these in a partial sun situation? I do not want to treat them like annuals and replant every year.

2. My neighbor has told me that all of her bulbs were dug out by animals last year. She could see the holes on top of her soil where they were dug up so I am guessing squirrels and/or groundhogs. I am armed and ready to put hardware cloth over the top of these. However, these are all going into mixed beds and thus I cannot put it down over the entire bed. How big should I make the squares covering the top? Basically wondering how many inches squirrels might dig at from the side to get to the bulbs.

3. I have already seen voles in my garden. Unfortunately I do not think I could make cages for all of those bulbs but I am willing to make them for the ones that voles are particularly attracted to. Which ones in your experience are the biggest vole targets?

4. I have ordered enough that I can plant some in pots to overwinter to replace any that might be eaten for the winter. Which ones are easiest to overwinter in pots? I have never attempted to overwinter bulbs before so would the routine be the same as perennials? Use a nursery black pot, leave in unheated garage, and don't let the soil dry out completely? Or is there a different routine for bulbs?

Thank you very much for the help!

Comments (3)