SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topie_gw

Potting mix for hanging baskets? Gritty or Regular?

topie
14 years ago

Hello again, and thank you to all the posters who helped with answering my many hanging baskets questions in my earlier post. Ive decided on Calibrachoa hybrid MillionBells/Superbells for my hanging baskets, along with some white Lobelia hybrids.

Now I'm trying to figure out the potting soil and have been studying the info about "Al's Mix". It was really interesting to read all the info, and I learned so many things about nutrients, drainage, etc. even though I don't think I quite understand it all yet.

My three hanging baskets each hold about 1.5 gallons of regular potting soil. I think I should go with the small batch recipe of the basic "Al's Mix", right? Since I'm planting annuals, I figure I don't need to use the "Gritty Mix", or should I? I plan to let the Calibrachoa and Lobelia go to "plant heaven" in the fall.

I have a few questions about the basic mix still. Please pardon me if these have already been asked and answered in other people's earlier posts. I hope I am not asking too many repeat questions:

1. What is the difference between a pine bark fine and a pine bark nugget (or "mini-nugget")? Is it just that the chunks of bark are smaller in the pine bark fines, hence the word "fines" as in the phrase "fine sand" ?

2. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find partially composted pine bark fines, but am still looking. I can get Timberline brand "Pine Bark Nuggets" at a store near me, but have the feeling these may be rather large. Could I grind the nuggets up with a mortar and pestle perhaps? Or do pine bark nuggets tend to be very hard? I assume these "Nuggets" would also not be partially composted, correct? If the pine bark is not partially composted, will this affect the nitrogen levels in my containers?

3. I can also definitely get "Fir Bark Reptile Bedding" for a reasonable price, but again I assume the bark is not partially composted?

4. The only fertilizer I've ever used in container plants is Osmocote (those little tan-colored balls that come in a see-thru jar). Does this qualify as a controlled-release fertilizer?

5. Is micro-nutrient powder some kind of beneficial fungus?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)