SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Really tired of deadheading...any annuals you don't have to?

Hi,

This year, We may have a few more containers than usual and a few different annuals than usual and we are constantly deadheading. I used to like deadheading. 'Used to' being the operative words. lol

I love containers of plants all summer but I really don't like to deadhead any more, or to look at ugly plants with dead flowers on them. I did have three pots that have been easy so far.

Dahlias. I tried them for the first time this year with tubers from Brent and Becky's. Easy as pie. Keep blooming. Once in awhile I cut off a bloom.

A pot of Nierembergia Purple Robe with Four OClocks that haven't started blooming yet. Also, Four OClocks with Lamium...no deadheading.

I have a shade container with begonias, NG impatiens, four oclocks with nasturtium and very little deadheading. I pull some dying flowers off the impatiens once in awhile, but the flowers last a long time.

But..I have three pots with petunias in them. Petunias and annual small daisies, can't think of the name of them..pink and white, annual dianthus, lantana with coleus and lobelia. It was a very pretty pot, but the lobelia got fried when we were slow to water one week. The daisies are always needing something clipped. The petunias are the worst. Not only deadheading every day, but I hate the stickiness of it and now there is some rusty colored small beetle that comes out at night and is making the blossoms look like swiss cheese. The annual dianthus did nothing all season and when it does bloom, it lasts a day and has to be taken off. Lantana wasn't bad, deadheading but not all the time.

I have portulaca in the ground and believe it or not, I didn't know you didn't have to deadhead and I used to do that. This year I had 2 six packs in the ground and just could not deadhead and discovered they bloom every day full and pretty any way.

I grew 2 large pots of Nicotiana this year for the first time. They were interesting to grow and the fragrance at night is great, but they are always dropping dead spent flowers and then I cut back all the bases so they won't go to seed. Plus the foliage is so delicate, I am always breaking leaves when I deadhead. It's not on my list for next year.

There must be something else that doesn't need deadheading?

Comments (15)