SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bi11me

On the Fallacy of 'Early Spring'

bi11me
12 years ago

There have been a lot of posts recently, here and in other forums, about seed starting, anticipating an early spring because of the relatively warm conditions many of us have enjoyed so far this winter. As with financial investing, past performance is no guarantee of future results, but the "Last Frost Date" that most gardeners base their planning on is relatively stable as a long-term trend, and current weather conditions have NOTHING to do with when that will occur - for most of us, still a few months away. Believing that our balmy January portends a steamy March is, as any weatherman will tell you, delusional. Granted, seeds are relatively cheap, and except for us market gardeners starting a crop is a small investment of time. If you lose a few seeds it's no big deal, and there is plenty of time to start afresh, and if one gambles on the weather, there is always the possibility of things turning in your favor, but prudence would argue that your winter gardening hours might best be rewarded by attention to careful planning, establishing a good succession and rotation system, researching unfamiliar varieties, and planning on how to invest all that money you're saving on heating costs.

The Farmers Almanac, on it's Frost Date web page, has this to say about th matter -

"The dates listed above are normal averages for a light freeze/frost. The possibility of a frost occurring after the spring dates and before the fall dates is 50 percent. Frost/freeze temperatures are categorized by their effect on plants:

Light freeze: 29 degrees F to 32 degrees F �" tender plants killed, with little destructive effect on other vegetation.

Moderate freeze: 25 degrees F to 28 degrees F �" widely destructive effect on most vegetation, with heavy damage to fruit blossoms and tender and semi-hardy plants.

Severe freeze: 24 degrees F and colder �" damage to most plants."

In my commercial operation, 50% is not odds I'm willing to gamble on. There are, obviously, lots of ways to fudge that; season-extending practices, moving plants in and out based on daily conditions, and the like, but there is NO justification for the belief that the weather today is an indicator of a longer growing season. And yes, I do believe that global warming is the result of human influence, but that too is likely to be an incremental, though no less urgent, process, and unlikely to be responsible for this months' unseasonably tolerable temperatures.

"The sun was warm but the wind was chill.

You know how it is with an April day

When the sun is out and the wind is still,

YouâÂÂre one month on in the middle of May.

But if you so much as dare to speak,

A cloud comes over the sunlit arch,

A wind comes off a frozen peak,

And youâÂÂre two months back in the middle of March."

From a poem by Robert Frost, "Two Tramps in Mud Time" 1934

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting