SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onafixedincome

Silly newbie question list

onafixedincome
13 years ago

Sorry if this is something that drives people nuts, but I'm going to take a deep breath and ask some silly questions. As a newbie to container gardening (both the practice and the forum, hehe), I'm finding myself lost on a few things.

What, exactly, is a 'self watering container'? I know that the 'common knowledge' ones are on the lines of 'any container holding extra water' but that's not making sense.

Much of what I'm seeing here seems to require a lot of constant attention, regular feedings, and so on--is there a lazy man's way to plant it, throw water at it about once a week, and it will do its own thing?

Wicks--what purpose do they serve and how are they best used in a soil environment? Or are they only for use to remove water from a pot to evaporate or to the ground? (And yes, Al, I'm reading the article on water movement--wowsers! Thank you!)

It almost sounds like a lot of folks are against (or at least don't like using) plain ol' dirt and compost for containers--is this a complete fail sort of thing, or just 'the mix works better' thing?

I'll post what I have soilwise in another thread for everyone to laugh at (not insulted! just joking) and help me figure the best way to use it...it's kind of unique.

Many thanks for all input!

Comments (14)