SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teddychicago

Daffodils and summer bulbs

teddychicago
15 years ago

Hi,

I am a newbie gardener living in northwest suburban Chicago.

I have a large bed of naturalized daffodils in the front of my house. Every year the foliage wilts and turns yellow. I have nothing coming up to hide it. It looks pretty bad to me. Plus, the area has gotten very shady over the last few years.

I would love to plant some summer- or later spring- flowering bulbs so they will hide the daffodil foliage. But I am afraid for the following reasons:

1. Most bulbs I see require full sun. This area only gets some sun in the morning. It's mostly dappled sun until the afternoon, when it's all shady.

2. How would I even plant the bulbs? Do I need to dig up all the daffodils and then layer the new bulbs on top? Can I just stick in the bulbs between the daffodil clumps?

3. WHEN would I even plant the new bulbs? Home Depot has their summer flowing bulbs at 50% right now. Can I buy those and plant them now, hoping for them to show next year?

4. What bulbs would do a good job of hiding foliage? The bed is C shaped around a birch tree so if I put tall plants in the back, they wouldn't hide the daff foliage. If I put them in the front, then it'd look like a fence?

THanks for any insight.

Comments (3)