SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Hello, amend soil, peat moss in heat.

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
15 years ago

I grow roses, and often have a few pots for flowers, but last year was our first venture into tomatoes.

Tapla, if you are reading, I placed your recipe in my clippings, but I have some questions -- for all, not just one person.

I live in Tulsa, OK, and I see that Tapla, you live in MI. I don't know if that is Michigan or Missouri, but here it gets very hot. THe sphagnum (spelling?) peat moss is impossible once it gets dry, and I am afraid that in our intense heat, I could run into trouble with it. I am thinking of substituting mushroom compost, or soiless potting soil or something else that would be more friendly when it is hot.

My main question is, about the existing soil. I have 4 whiskey barrels, and 4 meal tubs for the tomatoes. The containers are half full of old soil, and I will add the new soil to it. Since the soil is draining, would there be any reason to try to amend the soil under the new soil?

Do any of you know if the ph is the same for tomatoes, lettuce, and herbs? My plan is to grow lettuce and herbs in pots right beside the patio. I presume that the same mixture works for all food products? I believe that roses need a ph of 6.5, so perhaps I would need to use a different mixture for the roses.

A nursery here sells their mixture for $6.99/ 40 lbs. They put in peat,pine, shale, lime, and fertilizer. That seems very expensive to me. My estimating is that I will need about 20 bags.

Sammy

Comments (12)