SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grog76

Deciduous pruning and root pruning

grog76
17 years ago

I'm looking forward to early spring with a most likely unhealthy dose of anticipation. The only tree I have that is actually "styled" (using the term loosely) is a sad but recovering ficus mallsai. I do however have a sizable amount of nursery stock with which I am looking to rectify this situation. Other than one yew and two juniper all of the outdoor stock is deciduous and includes acer ginnala, diospyros viginiana, larix laricina, prunus maackii, chaenomeles "Jet Trail", ginkgo biloba, ulmus (americana and parvifolia), cotoneaster "Tom Thumb", and hopefully by spring will also add local celtis, ostryra virginiana, morus, or crataegus.

I think I have a bit of an understanding of how the spring growth cycle works and therefore an idea of when to prune different parts of the plant. However, logic isn't all it's cracked up to be so I wanted to see if I have my ducks in a row.

My first assumption is that all of the above species with the exception of ginkgo and possibly crataegus are able to tolerate root and branch trimming in the same growing season. Some of the stock (especially the Amur maples) are overgrown top and bottom with roots circling around their 5 gallon pots and shrubby tops. In early spring before buds actually pop would seem to me the time to trim any unnecessary top growth. This is, or seems to be, the time when all the stored up energy in the root system is getting ready to be pushed upstairs. After the newest growth has hardened off in mid to late spring would seem to be the time to repot and trim back the root system as this should be when the roots have pushed most of their stored energy out.

This all makes sense to me but unfortunately its assumption, theoretical, or based on reading a multitude of different sources. Book sense is good but I would like confirmation or refutation of these assumptions from someone with some practical, hands on know how. Am I making too broad of a generalization with this many different species? Is it better to only do top or bottom in one season as is the case with some pines?

Thanks much for any insight or advice given.

Comments (4)

Sponsored