SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ara133

Overwintering Kentucky Coffee Tree on a Balcony in the Northeast?

ara133
16 years ago

Hi! How can I overwinter my Kentucky Coffee Tree bonsai on my balcony? I'm in Pennsylvania and it's already starting to get cold! Actually, I thought my KY Coffee Tree plant was dead - it went 2 yrs without sprouting anything (just a bare 6" tall trunk) indoors, so I put it on my balcony and it did nothing all summer... so I stopped caring for it (assuming it was dead - I'm terrible at keeping bonsai alive, unfortunately), including watering, and then this morning I went out there and noticed it had 2 nice green shoots coming off the previously bare trunk! Hurrah! So I watered it (for the 1st time in maybe 3 months, I have no idea how it survived since the balcony is covered!!!), and now I don't know what to do with it. Previously I've kept it indoors over winter, but I'm thinking that may be why it seems to have been dormant for over 2 years!

So, I have a 2nd floor apartment, and a small balcony that is covered with a roof (well, it's the floor of the 3rd floor balcony!!). It gets some sun in the morning. I don't have any very cold windowsills inside where I could keep the tree cold. I tried keeping it in the refrigerator for a few months last year during winter (which my amazingly patient DH put up with!!!), but that didn't seem to be helpful, plus it didn't get any sunshine (however that may not have made any difference since it didn't have any leaves anyway!!).

The plant is in a 5" plastic ordinary houseplant pot, and right now it's planted entirely in sand:vermiculite (about 75:25).

I don't know how to keep it from freezing because I can't plant the pot in the ground... and I can't overwinter it in the fridge (I've already taken over most of the apt. with plants, I want to at least let my DH have a dirt-free fridge!!).

Any ideas? Should I bubble wrap it? :)

THANKS for all your help!!!!

best,

a

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus